With Halloween just around the corner, it is the perfect time to put the finishing touches on your costume and make sure your jack o’ lantern looks its best. More importantly, it is the perfect time to make sure everyone in your family knows how to stay safe while trick or treating. Keep these safety tips in mind to help make sure everyone has a safe and fun holiday.
- When choosing a costume for your child, make sure that it does not drag on the ground to avoid tripping and falling while walking.
- Use face paint instead of a mask, since masks can obstruct a child’s view while walking. Make sure to test the face paint on a small area to ensure that it will not irritate your child’s skin.
- Use reflective tape or stickers on your child’s costume to make them more visible to passing cars and people. Also have them carry around a flashlight or glow stick to allow them to see better in the dark.
- Only cross the street in designated cross walks. Make sure to obey all traffic laws when crossing the street. Make eye contact with a driver to ensure that they know you are crossing the street.
- Do not allow children under the age of 12 to trick or treat alone. Make sure that they have proper adult supervision when trick or treating.
- If you have older children who are trick or treating with friends, make sure that they stick to neighborhoods that they are familiar with.
- Inspect all candy before you allow your child to enjoy it. Throw away any candy that is open or looks like it has been tampered with.
- If you are driving on Halloween, make sure to drive extra slow and use extreme caution.
Agers Insurance Services would like to wish you and your family a fun and safe Halloween!