Dive head first into seasonal dishes with this spring recipe!
Now that Oakley, California is in the midst of the spring season, many of us are stocking up on seasonal produce and enjoying lighter meals. With summer just around the corner, getting in shape is certainly in the cards. Fortunately, you don’t have to starve yourself to eat healthily and be satisfied!
Check out this seasonal recipe of quinoa and garden vegetables for a filling lunch or a light supper!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1½ cups water
- juice of ½ lime
- 1 red onion, sliced thin
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- ½ medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced thin (about 2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt/pepper to taste
- 8 oz sweet green peas
- 3-4 large swiss chard leaves, stems removed, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ⅛ tsp salt, or to taste
- Rinse quinoa in a fine sieve under cold water. Cook quinoa in a large pot on the stovetop, according to package directions, adding in the juice of ½ lime.
- While the quinoa is cooking, whisk together the dijon mustard, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar and ⅛ tsp salt and set aside.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat. When hot, pour in the vegetable broth and red onion slices. Cook the onion, stirring occasionally for about 3-4 minutes or until they begin to soften. (If the pan gets too dry, add another 1 tbsp of vegetable broth at a time just so the onions don’t stick).
- Add the garlic, zucchini and a sprinkle of salt/pepper and sauté 2 minutes until starting to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Add the green peas, swiss chard and dressing. Stir and heat through for another 2 minutes.
- Plate the quinoa with the vegetable mixture on top or mix it all together. Serve immediately.
From the insurance professionals at Agers Insurance Services in Oakley, California, we hope that you enjoyed this spring recipe! Be sure to visit us for all of your insurance needs.