Fall is officially here, which means so are cooler temperatures and shorter days. To make sure your home is ready for the dropping temperatures and the extra time your family spends indoors, keep these home maintenance tips in mind.
- Hire a professional to check your furnace and to do any regularly scheduled maintenance to ensure that you will stay warm all fall and winter long.
- If you have a wood burning fireplace, clean out the chimney. Built up soot from previous fires can easily start a fire and push dangerous carbon monoxide into your home.
- Clean out your rain gutters. Rain gutters that are clogged with fallen leaves and other debris can cause water to back up and damage your roof and walls. Also make sure the downspout is facing away from your home so water does not damage the foundation of your home.
- Check for missing or damaged shingles on your roof. Replace any shingles that are damaged or missing to ensure that cold, wet season does not damage your roof.
- Check the weather stripping around all the doors and windows around your home. Replace any damaged or missing weather stripping to keep your home warm during the cool season.
- Check all the fire alarms and carbon monoxide alarms throughout your home to ensure that they are working properly. Replace any alarms that are not properly working or are outdated.
- Check your emergency kit to ensure that it is well stocked. Replace any items that are expired or outdated.
The new season is also the best time to look over your homeowners insurance policy to ensure that you have the right amount of coverage for any unfortunate situation this fall. For all your homeowners insurance needs throughout Northern California, contact the insurance experts at Agers Insurance Services in Oakley.