As the cold winter weather continues, it is easy to turn up your thermostat to stay warm. However, each degree that you turn it up is more money that is added to your energy bill. Keep these simple tips in mind to help save money while staying warm this season.
- Befriend the sun – when the sun is out during the day, open your curtains and drapes to allow the sun to heat your home. Remember to close your drapes and curtains once the sun goes back down to avoid cooling drafts from your windows.
- Cover your windows – use clear, heavy-duty plastic sheets to cover your windows. A tight seal from the plastic will help to eliminate any drafts.
- Use your thermostat wisely – while you are home, set your thermostat to the lowest temperature you can while still being comfortable. While you are sleeping or out of the house, set your thermostat 10 degrees cooler to save up to 10 percent on your bill. Installing a programmable thermostat will help to ensure that it is always set to the proper temperature.
- Seal any leaks – check the weather stripping around all of your doors and windows. If the weather stripping is missing or cracked, replace it to ensure the cold air stays out and the warm air stays in.
- Get your heater checked – hire a professional to take a look at your furnace and make any necessary repairs. Having a properly working heater will heat your home more efficiently, making sure that you are not wasting money.
To ensure that you home is protected through the cold winter weather with the right homeowners insurance policy, contact the insurance professionals at Agers Insurance Services in Oakley, California. We can help with all of your Northern California home insurance needs to ensure that you have the right amount of coverage for any unfortunate situation.