Skip to content

Four Key Questions about Earthquake Insurance

  • by

Are you considering earthquake insurance? Here are four questions home owners frequently ask about this coverage:

Will my homeowner’s insurance cover earthquake losses?
No, homeowner’s insurance generally will not cover damage or losses due to an earthquake. In California, however, state law requires that homeowner policies cover fire damage that results from an earthquake. In addition, some umbrella insurance policies will cover earthquake damage.

Who sells earthquake insurance?
In California, your home insurer will offer you an earthquake policy every two years. It’s your choice whether to purchase it. If you have an independent insurance agent, your agent can help you explore your options and decide if you want the coverage.

What is the CEA?
The California Earthquake Authority (CEA) provides many earthquake policies in the state. The CEA does not sell insurance directly, but underwrites the plans that insurance companies offer.

What does earthquake insurance coverage?
The insurance will cover you for damage to your home and personal property caused by earthquakes. It will also reimburse you for some additional expenses if you cannot live in your home. Like all insurance, earthquake policies have limits and maximum coverage amounts. 

Independent agent Thomas Ager, of Agers Insurance Services, has helped Californians find the coverage they need to protect their homes and families for three decades. To learn more, or make an appointment for an insurance consultation, contact us.